Less than 45 minutes
- 2 packets (100g each) walnuts or pecans, chopped
- ½ tsp (3ml) cinnamon
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, defrosted
- ¼ cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 1 can (400ml) coconut cream, chilled
- 4-6 bananas, sliced
- ½ tub (120g) ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup (60ml) maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract or vanilla essence
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 punnet (400g) medjool dates, stoned and chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) hot water
- ¼ cup (60ml) honey
- ½ cup (125ml) coconut milk
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract or vanilla essence
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine nuts and cinnamon.
- Place two sheets of pastry next to each other and brush with maple syrup.
- Sprinkle with a little nut mixture and layer each with another sheet of pastry.
- Repeat until you have 2 stacks with 4 layers of pastry each.
- Cut each stack into 12 squares and place on lined trays.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Combine filling ingredients until smooth.
- Place date caramel ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth and velvety.
- Fold 2 Tbsp date caramel into filling mixture until smooth.
- Skim solid cream from coconut cream and whip to stiff peaks. (Discard liquid or use in smoothies).
- Place a spoonful of filling on each pastry square, followed by banana slices, some date caramel and whipped coconut cream.
- Layer 4 squares of pastry on top of each other to form a stack, creating a total of 6 stacks.