Less than 30 minutes
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Anna Carolina Alberts Photographer: Michael le Grange
A quick-fix dinner on a dime, loaded with healthy fats and protein.
- 4 tsp (20ml) canola or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5ml) chilli flakes
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (3ml) cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cups (375ml) rice
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- Salt and milled pepper
- Handful chopped fresh herbs (like parsley and coriander)
- 1 can (215g) smoked sardines, drained
- 4 eggs, soft-boiled
- Sliced fresh chilli, for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Add spices and bay leaves and fry for a minute.
- Stir in rice and mix well.
- Pour stock over rice and season.
- Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Stir herbs and sardines through rice.
- Top with halved eggs, season and top with chilli, if you like.
- Serve warm.