Makes about 35
- 1 cup (250g) butter, softened
- 2 cups (400g) demerara sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp (5ml) caramel or vanilla essence
- 2½ cups (375g) self-raising flour
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground ginger
- 2 tsp (10ml) cinnamon
- Pinch of ground allspice
- ½ tsp (3ml) fine salt
- ½ cup (100g) white sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream butter and demerara sugar together for 5-8 minutes using an electric whisk until pale yellow.
- Add egg, egg yolk and caramel or vanilla essence, mixing well.
- Add self-raising flour, spices and salt, and mix to create a dough.
- Roll into 3-4cm dough balls in the palm of your hand, then dust in white sugar to coat.
- Place balls 5-6cm apart on baking trays.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven, cool cookies in trays until firm, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Repeat with leftover dough.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.