Less than 30 minutes
Makes 4-5 cups
- 2 small Hokkaido pumpkins, cut into wedges
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (250ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) rice vinegar or white balsamic
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) fish sauce
- 1 tsp (5ml) chilli paste
- 2-4 red chillies, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2cm knob ginger, peeled and grated
- Toss pumpkin wedges with seasoning and oil.
- Roast at 220°C for 15-18 minutes. Cool.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan on low heat.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring until sugar dissolves and allowing the flavours to infuse.
- Place pumpkin in a single layer in a plastic or glass container with a tight-fitting lid, and pour liquid over, making sure it covers pumpkin.
- Cool and refrigerate.
- Keeps for 4-5 days.