Less than 30 minutes
- ¼ cup (60ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) sugar
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Salt and milled pepper
- ¼ cup (60ml) mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 1 whole ciabatta, halved
- 1 cup (250ml) grated cheddar
- 1 cup (250ml) grated mozzarella
- 1 salad tomato, sliced
- 2-3 pickled or fresh jalapeños, sliced
- Melted butter, for brushing
- Freshly chopped herbs, for serving
- 1 lime
- Combine vinegar and sugar in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Place onions in a bowl and pour over vinegar-and-sugar mixture. Season, cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine mayo and mustard and spread the mixture generously on both halves of the ciabatta.
- Layer the bottom half with cheese, tomato, pickled onions and jalapeños.
- Place on a braai grid and braai for 5-8 minutes, brushing with butter and turning occasionally.
- Remove from braai, drizzle with a squeeze of lime and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Slice into 3-4 portions and serve immediately.