Less than 45 minutes (+ proofing)
Makes 1 large loaf
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) honey
- 2 cups (500g) cooked mashed sweet potato, at room temperature
- 3 cups (450g) rye bread flour
- 3 cups (450g) white bread flour + extra for dusting
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) salt
- 1 packet (10g) yeast
- 1 cup (250ml) lukewarm water
- Glug oil, for greasing
- Mix honey and sweet potato in a bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and fold into sweet potato mixture.
- Add water slowly while kneading to combine.
- Knead mixture for 10 minutes on a floured surface until a smooth dough forms that is springy to the touch.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and proof in a mildly warm area until doubled in size (about ?? minutes). Careful: overheating will kill yeast.
- Knead dough again to incorporate new air.
- Shape into an oval and place on a floured baking tray.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise again until doubled in size, about 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Dust loaf with flour and score an X on top using a sharp knife.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. It’s ready if it sounds hollow when tapped.
- Serve warm as is, or make toast.