More than 1 hour
- ½ cup (125ml) balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup (125ml) soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) brown sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) chilli flakes
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 punnet (250g) portabellini mushrooms, halved
- ¼ cup (about 35g) each raw peanuts and cashews
- Combine marinade ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Pour cooled marinade over mushrooms and leave to marinate for 45 minutes.
- Thread mushrooms onto bamboo skewers.
- Braai over medium coals for about 8-10 minutes until caramelised and cooked through.
- Toast nuts in a dry pan, then season with salt, chop roughly and mix.
- Serve skewers sprinkled with nuts.