More than 45 minutes (Plus pickling time)
Makes 3-4 cups
Share with friends
Basic pickling liquid:
- ½ cup (125ml) vinegar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) coriander seeds
- 1 tsp (5ml) mustard seeds
Vegetable combinations to try:
- Green veg: 200g whole asparagus + 200g fine green beans + PnP bouquet garni
- Beetroot: 4 peeled beetroots, cut into 3mm-thick rounds + chopped fresh dill
- Asian salad topper: 300g sliced radishes + 3-4 sliced snacking cucumbers + 2cm sliced ginger + 1 star anise + 2 PnP dried lime leaves
- Red onions: 3 red onions, halved and sliced into half-moons
- Rainbow crunch: ¼ head each red and green cabbage, shredded + 2 small carrots (cut into matchsticks) + chopped coriander
- Combine vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan.
- Add coriander seeds and mustard seeds, and simmer, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and infuse for 5 minutes.
- Place prepared raw veg in sterilised jars.
- Top up with cooled pickling liquid.
- Pickle for at least 60 minutes or up to 3 hours before serving (the longer, the better).
- Cover and refrigerate. (Keeps for about three weeks.)
- Eat as is or add to salads, sandwiches and more.