More than 1 hour
- ½ cup (125ml) plain double cream yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) cornflour (mixed with a little water to create a paste)
- 1 tsp (5ml) fine salt
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) each garam masala, ground cumin and ground coriander
- Pinch ground turmeric and cinnamon
- 8-10 deboned chicken thighs or 4 chicken breast fillets
- ⅕ cup (50g) melted butter
- ⅓ cup (80g) butter
- 6 pods cardamom, crushed
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- ½-1 tsp (3-5ml) chilli powder
- 2 tsp (10ml) garam masala
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 green chillies halved
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) tomato paste
- 1 can (400g) cherry tomatoes, pureed
- 2 tsp (10ml) grated fresh turmeric
- ⅓ cup (80g) cream
- Pinch brown sugar
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Rotis, for serving (click here for a guide to make your own)
- Combine marinade ingredients and add chicken.
- Marinate for 1 hour or overnight for the best results.
- Place chicken on a wire rack on a baking tray.
- Heat oven to 220°C.
- Brush with butter and cook on the highest oven rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove, preheat on oven grill and grill chicken for a further 5-8 minutes or until lightly charred.
- Remove and set aside.
- For sauce, melt butter in a pan, add spices and cook for a minute.
- Add onion, garlic and chilli and cook for about 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and tomato pulp, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine turmeric, cream and sugar and add to pot.
- Add chicken and a splash of lemon juice.
- Simmer until fragrant and reduce slightly.
- Serve with rotis.