More than 1 hour
Makes 4 mini cakes
- 3 bags PnP vanilla chai tea
- ½ cup (125ml) hot milk
- 1 cup (150g) cake flour
- 1 cup (150g) wholewheat flour
- 1 packet (100g) chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts or almonds) + extra toasted nuts for decorating
- 2 tsp (10ml) each bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and baking powder
- ½ tsp (3ml) fine salt
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups (330g) castor sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) sunflower oil
- 2 cups (160g) carrot, grated
- 1 can (430g) crushed pineapple in syrup
- ¼ cup (60ml) honey
- 1 tub (250g) full-fat cream cheese
- ½ tsp (3ml) cinnamon
- 4 cups (520g) icing sugar
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Steep tea in hot milk for 10 minutes, then discard tea bags.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line four 8cm round loose-bottomed tins with baking paper.
- Combine dry ingredients, excluding sugar, in a bowl.
- Cream eggs and sugar together in a separate bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk in oil, then fold wet mixture into dry ingredients.
- Stir in carrot and pineapple with syrup.
- Spoon batter into baking tins. (Two 18cm baking trays will work too, cutting baked cake later with a cookie cutter to create rounds.)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in tins, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut rounds in half to create 2 layers each.
- Whisk honey and cream cheese until softened and smooth.
- Add cinnamon and ¼ icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Add remaining icing sugar in two parts until smooth.
- Add a drop of lemon juice.
- Pipe or spoon frosting between cake layers.
- Top cakes with frosting and toasted nuts.
- Decorate with spun sugar (click here to see how to make it).