Less than 1 hour
- 1½ cups (150g) oats
- 4 cups (1L) chicken or vegetable stock
- Glug olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2cm knob fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- Juice (30ml) and grated peel of 1 lime
- Salt and milled pepper
- 4 soft-boiled eggs
- Bagel seasoning (see cook’s note)
- Sliced spring onion
- Chilli crisp oil
- Soy sauce
- Bring oats and stock to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for about 15 minutes – it should have the consistency of risotto.
- Heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion until soft (8-10 minutes).
- Stir in ginger and garlic and fry for another minute until fragrant.
- Tip in cooked oats (loosen with a few tablespoons of water if needed).
- Add lime juice and zest, and season.
- Serve oats topped with eggs, bagel seasoning, spring onion, chilli oil and a dash of soy sauce.
To make bagel seasoning mix together equal parts garlic flakes, onion flakes, white and black sesame seeds, poppy seeds and Maldon salt. Serve sprinkled over oats.