Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 2 cups (300g) flour + extra for dusting
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) castor sugar
- ⅓ cup (80g) butter, chilled
- 1 extra-large egg
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- ½ cup (125ml) whipped fresh cream, for serving
Quick jam (optional):
- ¼ cup (60ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) hulled fresh strawberries or frozen red berries
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200°C and lightly dust a baking tray with flour.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and castor sugar together.
- Rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix egg and milk together.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and, using a butter knife, mix gently until mixture just comes together and forms a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 3cm-thick square.
- Cut out scones using a 6cm round cutter. Re-form excess dough and cut out more scones.
- Place on prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden-brown and scones make a hollow sound when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
- For jam, place sugar in a microwave-safe bowl and melt on high for 2 minutes.
- Add berries and lemon juice and microwave for 6-7 minutes or until mixture becomes syrupy. Set aside to cool and thicken slightly.
- Serve scones with jam and dollops of whipped cream.