More than 1 hour
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Anke Roux Photographer: x
A South African winter isn’t complete if you haven’t had this classic.
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- ⅓ cup (80ml) butter (at room temperature)
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) white wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup (180g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1½ cups (225g) flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) smooth apricot jam
- ⅓ cup (80ml) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) butter
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 20-25cm ovenproof dish.
- Heat milk and 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter in a small pan until butter melts. Stir in vinegar.
- Cream remaining butter, sugar and vanilla together.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add milk and butter mixtures, alternating in small batches, and combine.
- Pour into dish and bake for 45-60 minutes until cooked.
- Heat sauce ingredients in a pan until jam and sugar have dissolved and butter has melted.
- Pour over warm malva.
- Set aside for 15 minutes until sauce is absorbed.
- Serve warm.