More than 1 hour
- 1½ cups (300g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cans (400ml each) coconut milk
- 1 can (385g) condensed milk
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla seed paste
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground cardamom
- Pinch salt
- Fresh coconut flakes, for serving
- Heat sugar and water over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil for 10-15 minutes, until large bubbles appear and liquid turns into an amber-coloured caramel.
- Pour into a 25cm round x 8cm deep baking dish (or into individual ramekins if you prefer) and cool.
- Whisk together eggs, condensed milk, coconut milk, vanilla paste, cardamom and salt to make a custard.
- Pour over cooled and hardened caramel in baking dish.
- Place in a water bath. (See cook’s note.)
- Bake at 160˚C for 80-90 minutes, until custard is firm and set but still slightly wobbly in the centre.
- Remove from oven and water bath, and cool at room temperature.
- Chill in fridge for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- To unmould, dip dish in lukewarm water for a minute. Loosen edges around the rim if needed, using the tip of a sharp knife.
- Place a serving plate over the dish and flip both over in one quick motion. Leave dish in place for a few seconds to allow caramel to run down.
- Serve with fresh coconut.