More than 1 hour
- 1 (about 1.2kg) whole chicken, spatchcocked
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- ½ can (200g) coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) lemon and herb spice
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 packet (200g) baby fennel
- 1 packet (200g) asparagus
- Freshly shaved coconut and micro herbs, for serving (optional)
- ¼ can (100g) coconut milk
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) olive oil blend
- Juice (60ml) of 1 lemon
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 chilli chopped (optional)
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Place chicken in a deep dish, baking bag or large zip-seal bag.
- Cover with buttermilk and coconut milk, close or cover and marinate for 1-3 hours in the fridge.
- Remove from fridge and allow to come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Prepare medium-hot coals – you should be able to hold your hand just above the grid for 7-8 seconds.
- Remove chicken from marinade and brush off marinade using a brush (discard marinade).
- Sprinkle chicken all over with spice and salt.
- Braai chicken for 45-50 minutes, turning over every 5-8 minutes, or as needed (a folding braai grid is best for easy turning). Keep feeding fire with coals or move coals around to maintain heat.
- Slice vegetables in half, season and toss lightly in a bit of oil.
- Braai until charred and softened, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove chicken and rest for 10 minutes. Keep vegetables warm.
- Combine dressing ingredients and season to taste.
- Dish up chicken and vegetables on a platter, scatter with coconut and herbs, if using, and serve with dressing on the side.