1 hour (plus cooling time)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (220g) castor sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) espresso coffee
- ⅘ cup (200g) butter
- 250g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- ⅔ cup (100g) flour
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground cumin
- Pinch fine salt
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Cream eggs and sugar together with an electric beater for about 8 minutes, or until pale, fluffy and tripled in size.
- Stir in coffee.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave. (Heat for 45 seconds, then whisk. Repeat until melted, careful not to overheat.)
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, cumin and salt.
- Pour wet mixture into dry, then pour into a 20–23cm square lined baking tin.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a crackle top forms. Brownies should still be gooey in the centre.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Slice and serve as is, or with icing (see cook’s note). If choosing to serve these hot, add a scoop of ice cream and omit the icing.