More than 1 hour
Butternut soup base:
- 1½kg butternut, cubed
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) ground cumin
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) ground cinnamon
- 2½ cups (625ml) vegetable stock
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30ml) lemon juice
- ½ tub (125ml) cream
- ¼ cup (60g) butter (optional)
- Glug olive oil
- 2 cans (400g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 Tbsp (45-60ml) rogan josh or korma curry paste
- Crispy chickpeas
- Dollop of yoghurt
- Handful chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place butternut on 2 or 3 baking trays, take care not to overcrowd the trays.
- Drizzle with 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil and season.
- Roast for about 30 minutes or until well browned.
- Heat remaining oil in a large 6-8L pot and sauté onion and celery for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Add spices and cook for a minute.
- Add butternut and remaining ingredients, excluding cream and butter, and simmer partially covered for 30-45 minutes. Season.
- Cool slightly and blitz with a stick blender until smooth.
- Stir through cream and butter (if using).
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a separate large pot.
- Fry the chickpeas until crispy, then set a few spoonsful aside for topping.
- Add rogan josh or korma curry paste to a separate pot and add 10 cups (2.5L) of the butternut soup base and let the remaining soup cool in the fridge before freezing it.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with crispy chickpeas, yoghurt and parsley.