More than 1 hour
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- ½ cup (125g) butter
- 2 tsp (10ml) castor sugar
- 1 cup (150g) cake flour
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups (500ml) cream
- 2-4 slabs (80g each) dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 packet (180g) PnP Wobbles (chocolate-coated malt balls), lightly crushed
- 2 cups (400g) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- Chopped pistachios, for topping (almonds work well too)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place water, milk, butter and sugar in a saucepan over a high heat and melt butter, keeping the lid on.
- Bring to the boil before removing from heat and adding flour immediately.
- Stir vigorously, using a wooden spoon, until a smooth dough ball forms and mixture is pulling away from the sides of pot.
- Cool mixture down to room temperature for 5-10 minutes – don’t let it get cold.
- Add eggs a little at a time, mixing vigorously with the same wooden spoon, until the dough is glossy. Dough is ready when it drips lazily from the spoon.
- Spoon pastry into a large piping bag and cut the end so you have a hole about 4cm in diameter.
- Pipe a long sausage shape of pastry onto the prepared tin, about 30-35cm.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn down the oven temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 20 minutes until well risen, golden and crisp.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Slice pastry in half horizontally, using a sharp breadknife.
- For the filling, whip cream until stiff peaks form and gently fold in chocolate until well combined.
- When ready to assemble, fill the bottom half of pastry with whipped cream and sprinkle with crushed Wobbles.
- For the caramel, combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring only until sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer over medium heat until sugar turns a golden amber colour – this can take about 8-15 minutes. (Don’t stir once sugar is dissolved, rather swirl pot to avoid crystals.)
- Drizzle the pastry top with slightly cooled caramel and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Allow caramel to set completely before re-placing the top.
- Serve immediately.