More than 1 hour
- 1.5kg pork belly
- ½ cup (125ml) coarse salt
- Lime wedges and spring onion, sliced, for serving
Honey, soy and orange basting:
- ½ cup (125ml) honey
- 1/3 cup (80ml) soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) PnP chilli, ginger and garlic paste
- Juice (120ml) of 2 oranges
Pickled cucumber salad (optional):
- ½ cup (125ml) white wine vinegar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) sugar
- 2 Israeli cucumbers, peeled into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 red chillies, chopped
- ½ punnet (10g) coriander
- 1 packet (100g) rocket
- 1 packet (100g) toasted cashews
- Salt and milled pepper
- Olive oil, for dressing
- Slice pork into 2-3cm cubes.
- Sprinkle with salt and cover with cling wrap.
- Set aside for 1 hour at room temperature. (This draws out excess moisture from fat, which will ensure a crispier and quick-cooking pork.)
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce and salad.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a saucepot over medium-high heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes to thicken a little. Set aside.
- For salad, combine vinegar, water and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Place cucumber in pickling liquid for 10-15 minutes, then drain.
- Toss cucumber with remaining salad ingredients and season. Dress, just before serving, with olive oil.
- After an hour, wipe any liquid and salt off pork using paper towel, then string pork cubes on skewers.
- Prepare hot coals – you’re ready to braai when you can hold your hand above grid for 7 seconds.
- Braai pork skewers for 10 minutes, turning regularly.
- Baste skewers all over, braaiing for another 10 minutes and continuing to baste as you go.
- Serve skewers on a platter with lime wedges, spring onion and side salad, if you like.
We’ve paired these rich skewers with an optional pickled cucumber salad – the crisp, acidic salad pairs great with fatty pork.