More than 1 hour
- 4 cups (600g) white bread flour + extra for dusting
- ¾ packet (8g) instant yeast
- 1 tsp (5ml) each salt, ground coriander, cumin and paprika
- ½ punnet (10g) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⅓ cups (330ml) lukewarm water
- 3 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 bottle (130g) red pesto
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) harissa paste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place flour, yeast, salt, spices and parsley in a mixing bowl.
- Combine water, oil and garlic.
- Gradually add to dry ingredients while kneading for 5-8 minutes or until smooth.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and allow to rise until doubled in size.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface into a 60cm x 45cm rectangle.
- Brush with pesto and harissa paste, leaving a 3cm border on one of the long sides.
- Roll into a log shape towards the border.
- Cut log down the centre, leaving the top end uncut and attached.
- Braid dough in criss-cross pattern and pinch end to secure.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter.