- Glug olive oil or canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- ½ tsp (3ml) each grated fresh turmeric, ginger and garlic
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground turmeric
- 1 tsp (5ml) each mild curry powder, cumin and yellow mustard seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 packet (500g) IMBO white Kidney Beans
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable stock
- 1 can (400g) coconut milk
- Garlic naan bread and fresh coriander, for serving
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 10 cashews, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) curry powder
- ½ tsp (3ml) each mustard seeds and ground turmeric
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté onion and celery for about 8 minutes, until soft and golden.
- Add lemongrass, fresh turmeric, ginger, garlic and chillies, and fry for a minute.
- Stir in the remaining spices and curry leaves, and fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Add in drained beans, vegetable stock and coconut milk.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until beans are tender, adding a little more stock or water if beans aren’t covered with liquid. (If using canned beans, reduce base sauce for 10 minutes, then add beans and cook for 5-8 minutes to infuse.)
- Combine ingredients for the spiced sprinkle in a pan and toast until fragrant and browned. Set aside.
- Serve bean broth garnished with spiced sprinkle and coriander, with naan bread on the side.
TIP: It is easy to cook IMBO Kidney Beans. Quick-soak the beans instead of soaking overnight. Add 1 cup of dry beans to a saucepan with 3 cups of water. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to soak for an hour. Drain and rinse, before boiling again in fresh water for another 45 minutes to 1 hour until the beans are tender.
IMBO’s legumes are exceptionally healthy meat alternatives, rich in plant-based protein and packed with essential micronutrients and vitamins and sourced from GMO free stock. Meet your new, healthy meat alternatives that you’ll want to eat every day.
Visit IMBO on Facebook for more recipes.