Less than 1 hour
- ⅓ cup (80g) baking margarine or butter
- ⅓ cup (67g) sugar
- ⅓ cup (112g) golden syrup
- ⅓ cup (50g) cake flour
- Pinch salt
- 1¼ cups (75g) cornflakes
- ⅓ cup (80g) dried-fruit cake mix
- 2 slabs (100g each) dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a 34cm x 24cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat margarine or butter, sugar and golden syrup over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved and butter is completely melted.
- Increase heat until mixture bubbles, foams and starts to darken, about 10–12 minutes.
- Stir cake flour and salt into mixture.
- Remove from heat and stir in cornflakes and cake mix.
- Pour mixture into baking tray and spread into an even layer using the back of a spoon (fill tray right up to the edges).
- Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
- Cool completely in the tray, then turn tray over and peel off baking paper, keeping the flat side facing up.
- Melt chocolate slabs and spread over base.
- Leave to set at room temperature, then use a sharp knife to cut into 16 bars. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.