Less than 30 minutes
(+ setting time)
- 2 slabs (200g) dark chocolate
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- 4 extra-large egg yolks + 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup (80ml) castor sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) espresso or strong prepared instant coffee
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) brandy or whisky (optional)
- 1 packet (100g) raw pecan nuts
- ¼ cup (60ml) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) PnP dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp (3ml) cinnamon
- Pinch salt flakes
- Melt chocolate with salt in a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Add oil in a steady stream, mixing until well combined.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk egg yolks and half the sugar in a separate bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Fold melted chocolate, vanilla, coffee and alcohol, if using, through egg-yolk mixture.
- Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl with remaining sugar until glossy.
- Fold through chocolate mixture.
- Spoon mousse into 4 serving glasses and refrigerate to set for 30-60 minutes.
- Toss nuts with icing sugar, chilli flakes, cinnamon and salt flakes on a lined baking tray.
- Roast at 180°C for 5-6 minutes until caramelised.
- Cool nuts, crumble slightly and scatter over mousse to serve.