Serves 5-6 (as a side)
- 1 large cucumber, cut into 2mm-thick slices
- 1-2 packets (5s) snacking cucumbers, halved lengthways
- ½ cup (125ml) white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup (125ml) warm water (not boiling)
- ⅓ cup (80ml) sugar
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 1cm knob fresh ginger, sliced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) honey
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) sesame oil
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1 packet (200g) egg noodles, cooked and cooled
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Handful mixed cashews and sesame seeds
- Handful each fresh mint and coriander
- Combine pickling ingredients in a bowl and set aside for 20-60 minutes.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together.
- Toast nuts and seeds in a dry pan until fragrant.
- Combine noodles with radishes, spring onions and pickled cucumber on a platter. Add dressing.
- Sprinkle with seeds, toasted nuts and herbs.
- Serve with braaied chicken or pork kebabs, or with meatballs, rotisserie chicken or falafel for a picnic.