Less than 45 minutes
- 2 red peppers
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 50g (6-8) cayenne or Thai red chillies (or bird’s-eye chilli for flaming hot sauce), halved and deseeded
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) smoked paprika
- 1 punnet (20g) fresh coriander + extra for serving
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel 1 lemon
- ½ cup (125ml) canola or olive oil blend
- 1 tsp (5ml) fine salt
- Milled black pepper, to taste
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) piri-piri sauce (above)
- ½ cup (125ml) cream
- 2 packets (500g each) PnP local West Coast mussels in half shells
- Lemon wedges
- 6 crispy Portuguese rolls
- Chargrill red peppers over an open flame or under an oven grill until blackened.
- Place in a bowl, cover with clingfilm and cool.
- Peel off skin, deseed and chop finely.
- Combine red pepper with remaining piri-piri sauce ingredients and blitz until smooth.
- For mussels, heat oil in a pan and sauté onion for 5-8 minutes until golden.
- Add garlic and cook for a minute, then add piri-piri sauce and cream.
- Season and bring to a rapid simmer, add mussels and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, fresh coriander and rolls.