Less than 30 minutes (+ overnight freezing)
- 2 two-tier PnP Bakery chocolate cakes, icing removed (sliced choc muffins work well too)
- 2.5L softened chocolate or vanilla ice-cream
- 2 punnets (200g each) raspberries + extra for serving
- Fresh mint, for serving
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) vanilla essence
- 1 cup (200g) castor sugar
- Line a 3L bowl with clingfilm.
- Cut cake into blocks and use to line the bowl to create the outer layer.
- Use off-cuts of cake to fill the gaps. (Reserve some cake to enclose the top).
- Swirl raspberries through softened ice-cream.
- Fill cake-lined bowl with this mixture, making sure not to fill higher than the cake edge.
- Smooth out and top ice-cream mixture with reserved cake.
- Cover with a layer of clingfilm.
- Freeze for 4-5 hours or preferably overnight.
- For meringue, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar to medium stiff peaks.
- Whisk in vanilla essence.
- Add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, making sure it dissolves completely before adding the next spoon.
- Whisk until all sugar is added and the meringue mixture is smooth, thick and glossy.
- Turn frozen cake out on a serving plate and remove clingfilm.
- Spread liberally with meringue and, using a kitchen blowtorch, brown meringue all over.
- Serve slices with extra berries and mint.