More than 1 hour
- 1 medium (1.25-1.5kg) smoked uncooked gammon
- 2 whole cloves + extra to stud
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 onions, quartered
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh orange juice, strained
- ¼ cup (60ml) dark rum
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) marmalade
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) honey or maple syrup
- Place gammon ingredients together in a large pot and cover with enough cold water to submerge the gammon.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour 40 minutes, or until tender and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and cool in cooking liquid. Allow to cool.
- Remove gammon from liquid and place in a roasting tray. Discard liquid.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine glaze ingredients and simmer over medium heat until well-combined, about 8-10 minutes.
- Brush gammon with glaze, reserving some for basting.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until crispy, basting every 5-8 minutes. (If not browned enough, grill gammon for 5 minutes.)
- Rest meat for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve on orange slices with fresh cherries on the side.